Skip to main content

Motivation in the Age of COVID

I am both speechless and invigorated by an unexpected and incredibly touching message of friendship and encouragement from an old friend. 
💜
I'm not sure what motivated me to share this revived blog but you can thank that friend for me sharing more. Those close to me know how much I have always loved to write and that it has always been a dream of mine not just to write but to write a book. I have written many things over the years, brainstormed, started and stopped writing multiple 'books', unable to commit to what I felt may be the great idea worthy of my time, sacrifice and vulnerability to pursue my dream. (Bear with me, I know all the talk of dreams may sound cheesy.)

But here we are. There is a lot of power in saying things out loud (or writing them on the Internet) and sharing with others, not just for encouragement and connection, but for accountability in working towards something you want. By putting something out in the universe you no longer allow it to linger as a mere idea but breathe life into it, more than is typically possible on your own accord. Sharing pushs us forward. It is the same for any goal. If no one knows what you wanted to do, you (feel you) cannot fail, but you fail yourself. 

Now more than ever we rely on technology to connect but that doesn't necessarily mean it's easier to sync up with friends given a myriad of variables like time zone, schedule and communication preferences (seriously though.) As many can attest to, being home more does not equate to being more available. It varies by person and, in my case, is often dictated by (not so) little humans.

Social Media can be helpful to feel like you're in touch and connected with others but is not a filling substitute for direct personal communication. It's only what you, and those you're connected to, choose to share. We all know how some of the sharing and group posts can become a little overwhelming. It can also change your opinion of someone - for the better or worse. 

Where am I going with all of this? Keep sharing in the ways your most comfortable and then take it a step further and reach out and share in a way that is outside of that comfort. Pick up the phone, not to take a picture or scroll Social Media, but to speak to someone; initiate a Zoom call; post on an issue you care about; respond to someone's inquiry in a group; engage in discussions with others, whatever it may be. 

You never know the impact you may have on someone else, and how that connection will in turn impact your own outlook that day.

Make it a great day friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book/Movie Reviews

So, I've been waiting and thinking and changing my mind about how and when to do book and movie reviews on here. At first I thought a whole blog dedicated to comparing movies to the books they originated from. Then I thought, no that's too much work and I may have to read or watch something I really don't want to just to feel like I'm covering it all. Eh, pass. Now I'm thinking one day a week or once a month. We shall see. Look for something next week however to kick things off as I think I just may have some free time opening up....

Symbols and Intrigue Galor: Dan Brown!

Have you read any of Dan Brown's novels?? If you haven't, you should. Right away. There's been some controversy surrounding his work in the past but I think regardless of personal religious beliefs, or lack thereof, they are indisputably interesting and SO good! Years ago I read "The Da Vinci Code" and absolutely loved the it. The movie was pretty good for what it was, from what I can remember. However I've heard "Angels and Demons" was even better. Sadly I didn't get around to reading that one before seeing the movie, which I loved, and can see why others said that story served a better novel than the other. As always, I'm sure there was more to the storyline surrounding the Vatican  and how it unraveled than they were unable to pull together in the movie but it's hard to imagine. Without reading it the movie seemed pretty intricate and complete but I know from experience that there's likely details or meaning that I didn't p...

How Do I Fit My Workout In? Answer: Planning

We all struggle sometimes to balance everything we need and want to do in a day. Common advice is that we need to make the time for things that are truly important us. I know you may be eye-rolling thinking, but when? For me, it's getting up extra early. For others, maybe it's staying up late. For all of us, it's usually a trade off of some kind. The key to fitting a workout into your day is planning.  Creating, and sticking to, a workout routine is all about the planning. Set yourself up for success by planning ahead and thinking of a workout as a given part of your day. This doesn't mean you can never take a day off but once routine is established it's so much easier to stick to. Conversely, once it's broken it can be more challenging to reestablish. More than two days off, the harder it will be to get back at it. If you really want to workout, try what works for me to make a morning workout happen. 1. Plan It.  Write it in your planner. Input it i...